Sanitation and Recycling
- RESIDENTIAL REFUSE INFORMATION
- BRUSH & BULK DAY
- RECYCLING INFORMATION
- HOLIDAY SCHEDULE
- COMMERCIAL REFUSE INFORMATION
Please see map for trash collection schedule.
The City of Hewitt provides a trash and recycling cart collection program. Your basic service include the following:
- Once a week trash collection
- Recycling service every two weeks
Important Rules for Trash Pick-Up
- Roll your cart to the curb for collection by 7 am.
- Proper cart placement is extremely important. On your collection day, roll your cart within two feet of the edge of the street. Make sure the handles are facing your house so that when the cart is lifted, the lid opens towards the street. Please check to see that it is not obstructed by parked cars, boats, etc. The Post Master requires that the carts be placed far enough away from the mailbox so that the carrier can deliver without interference.
- You should not put concrete, large amounts of dirt, heavy waste, hot ashes, paints, or any hazardous liquids / materials. The cart is designed to hold a maximum weight of 50 pounds.
- To request an additional trash or recycling cart, please contact the Utility Department at (254) 666-3151. There will be an additional monthly charge for each additional cart.
- All of your bagged household trash and yard waste may be disposed of in your cart. Please bag loose items to prevent littering. Everything must fit inside the cart with the lid closed.
- Call Republic at (800) 860-0123, ext. 23008 to schedule bulky item pick-ups. Please note there is a fee for this service.
For large amounts of brush or large items like tree stumps, old chairs etc., the city provides a drop-off on the third Saturday of every month at 1301 S. Hewitt Dr. (as of 5/19/18), 7 AM until 12 Noon. Each person will have to provide a current Hewitt water bill and current driver’s license with current address. If you need a large item picked up curbside, you must call Republic Services at 1-800-860-0123, ext. 23008.
Please be sure to place your recycling cart at the curb by 7 am on the appropriate Wednesday.
Proper cart placement is extremely important. On your collection day place your cart within two feet of the edge of the street by 7 am. Make sure the handles are facing your house, so that when the cart is lifted, the lid opens toward the street.
ACCEPTABLE RECYCLING ITEMS: EMPTY AND RINSE
Plastics- #1, #2, #4, Paper, Flattened Cardboard, Newspaper, Junk Mail, Magazines, Catalogs, Phone Books, Water Bottles, Milk Jugs (clean and rinsed), and Aluminum Cans.
UNACCEPTABLE RECYCLING ITEMS:
Glass, Tin/Metal Cans, Appliances, Wood, Styrofoam, Batteries, Rubber Balls, Chemicals, Bubble Wrap, Plastic Grocery Bags, Coat Hangers, Tires, Food Waste/Wrappers, Garden Hoses, Yard Waste, Waxed Cartons, Paint, Oil, Syringes, Razor Blades, Food-soiled paper products, Pizza Boxes, Kitchen Waste, and Household trash.
IF THE ITEMS ARE BAGGED, THEY MUST BE IN A CLEAR TRANSPARENT BAG.
IF ITEMS ARE IN A BLACK TRASH BAG, ITEMS WILL BE DISCARDED AS TRASH.
Allied Waste Services, Hewitt’s Sanitation and Recycling Contractor, only observes three holidays: Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day. Trash will be picked up on all other holidays with no changes in schedules for those weeks.
EXISTING COMMERCIAL ACCOUNTS HAVE THE OPTION SELECT HANDPICK (CARTS) OR A DUMPSTER. COMMERCIAL REFUSE FORM AND INFORMATION
TO REQUEST A ROLL OFF CONTAINER, PLEASE CONTACT REPUBLIC SERVICES AT 1-800-860-0123.